Hogwarts Castle was built in an unknown date, but according to some sources it built in early Middle Ages. It has many towers, deep and undiscovered dungeons and 142 different staircases along with seven massive floors.
Hogwarts was built by famous and powerful wizards, Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw, Salazar Slytherin and an anonymous architect wizard. The school is the most famous and most powerful wizarding school of the wizarding world.
The Hogwarts Castle is in the north highlands of Scotland and it is a very special structure. It is not only famous with its occupant wizarding school; it is famous with intense magic that used while building it. That magic usage caused the castle to develop some kind of consciousness. Hogwarts showed those abilities and consciousness when Dolores Umbridge assigned to the school, with creating fake paths and doors for her.
Hogwarts Castle has a natural protection against Muggles. This protection can only have lifted by the headmaster of the school if it’s necessary. It has special ability to disguise as a ruin. So that completely separates and hides the Hogwarts from the Muggle world.
There were many different spells that used during the construction of the Hogwarts Castle. Those spells are almost everywhere at Hogwarts, starting from the construction of the castle. For instance, the magical staircases of the Hogwarts were built by Rowena Ravenclaw.
Parts of the Hogwarts Castle
The Hogwarts Castle has seven floors and many towers. Also, the castle has lots of known and unknown dungeons under the ground.
There are many rooms and staircases to underground dungeons in the basement of Hogwarts Castle. The entrances of Chamber of Secrets, the room that Sorcerer’s Stone hidden and many other important rooms are in this floor.
- Entrance of Dungeons: There is a small room on the hallway of dungeons. Hagrid was hiding his pet, Aragog in this room before.
- Hufflepuff Common Room
- Potion Classroom
- Potion Storage
- Room of Sorcerer’s Stone
- Slytherin Headmaster Office
The ground floor of Hogwarts Castle is very wide and contains lots of rooms. Especially many classrooms and other utility rooms are on the ground floor.
- Caretaker’s Room: Argus Flich stays and rests in this room.
- Chamber of Reception: Students stays and rests here before sorting by the Sorting Hat.
- Classroom Eleven: This is a general classroom which was divination lessons taken in the past.
- Entrance Hall
- Great Hall: Students main gathering area. The Sorting Hat sorts students in this hall and other celebrations happen in that area.
- Staffroom: Restroom of Hogwarts employees. There are two gargoyles on its door.
- Transfiguration Department: This is the place for the students who wants to master in transfiguration.
- Transfiguration Classroom: Students take their transfiguration classes in this room.
- Viaduct Entrance: This is the place which people pass before entering Entrance Hall. It was damaged during the war but it repaired after the war end.
In first floor, there are usually offices of professors of the Hogwarts. Along with that, there are a few classrooms.
- Defence Against the Dark Arts Classroom
- Girls’ Lavatory
- Girls’ Lavatory 2: The bathroom which Mytrle lives. It is out of order.
- History of Magic Classroom
- Hospital Wing
- Matron’s Office
- Muggle Studies Classroom
- Slytherin Headmaster Office
The second floor of the castle contains less rooms if compared to other floors, but there are many staircases in this floor.
- Defence Against the Dark Arts Professor’s Office
There are a few classrooms in the third floor of the Hogwarts Castle.
- Entrance of the Bell Tower.
- Spell and Charms Classroom
- Trophy Room
The fourth floor is the less used floor by the students. This floor contains the rooms that especially reachable for special permission from the professors, for researching purposes.
- Office of Cuthbert Binn
- Storage Room
- Study Area
- Restricted Area: This is the place that is restricted to students. Students are not allowed to enter without special permission. There is a library for dark arts in this area.
Classrooms about the arts are in this floor.
- Art Classroom
- Music Classroom
- Prefects’ Lavatory
There are a few offices and classrooms in sixth floor, but the floor is not crowded and only used by a few students.
- Boy’s Lavatory
- Office of Horace Slughorn
- Room of Rewards
- Study of Ancient Runes Classroom
This is the last floor of the Hogwarts Castle. There are many classrooms in this floor, and it is especially used by seventh grades.
- Aritmancy Classroom: A different divination area, Aritmancy lessons which uses numbers and letters, are taught in this classroom.
- Divination Classroom
- Divination Professor’s Office
- Room of Requirements
- Ravenclaw Headmaster Office
Towers of the Hogwarts Castle
Despite the main building, there are many towers in the Hogwarts Castle. Each of those towers has different purposes. Those towers create the skyline of the Hogwarts and could be reached with the staircases and corridors in the Hogwarts main building.
- Astronomy Tower: Students take the astronomy and other related lessons in this tower from Professor Aurora Sinistra. Dumbledore lost his life in Battle of the Astronomy Tower.
- Headmaster’s Tower: The principal and headmaster of the Hogwarts stays in this tower. Also the magical artifacts like the Sorting Hat are in this tower too.
- West Tower: This tower is known with extreme cold weathers in the winter. It is used for The Owlery, which contains the magical owls for communication.
- Bell Towers: Bell Towers are the twin towers just behind the Herbology greenhouse. Flitch’s office is located in the left tower.
- Gryffindor Tower: This tower is reachable after passing the Fat Lady portrait, with using a password. The tower contains Gryffindor Common Room and the dorms of Gryffindor students.
- Hospital Tower: This tower is connected with the hospital wing. It contains the offices and other rooms related to medical needs.
- Dark Tower: Entering to the Dark Tower from outside is impossible. It was used as a prison. It has seven floors with cells. Its current purpose and usage is unknown.
- Defence Against the Dark Arts Tower: Most of the classrooms about Defence Against the Dark Arts are in this tower. Also, Minerva McGonagall’s office is located on the first floor of the tower.
- Ravenclaw Tower: This is the tower of the Ravenclaw House. It has Ravenclaw Common Room and other dormitories of Ravenclaw students.
- Clock Tower: This is the main tower of the Hogwarts. It starts from the third floor and contains a big clock.
Along with that, there are many other towers around the Hogwarts area that used for the protection and other purposes. Also, there are some towers and other structures around the castle with unknown purposes, even magical afflictions.
Outer Parts of the Hogwarts Castle
There are many outer parts of the Hogwarts Castle along with the towers and other main buildings. Forbidden, also known as Dark Forest, Hagrid’s Hut, greenhouses, lakes, and many gardens are considered as parts of the Hogwarts Castle.
Hogwarts is very big and contains every single part that necessary for the wizards.
- Hogwarts portrayed with different architecture movements in the movies, books and the Pottermore. The castle is Gothic in the movies, Middle Age in some books, and Japan and Flamboyant in some parts of the Pottermore. This is possible because of the magic that makes Hogwarts unique for everyone.
- According to Pottermore, Hogwarts Castle is the most haunted place of the England. There are more than 20 ghosts are living in the castle.