Wingardium Leviosa is one of the first spells wizards start to learn when they start wizarding school. Wingardium Leviosa allows wizards to fly with their wands. Wingardium Leviosa is one of the first spells started to teach in Hogwarts and it is very important for students to improve themselves.
As it mentioned in Hogwarts’ student’s book, Book of Spells, Wingardium Leviosa spell is the most important sign of a wizard’s magic skills. With that, it requires patience and wand control. That makes Wingardium Leviosa a stage for other important and complicated spells.
Wingardium Leviosa spell created by Jarleth Hobard for the first time in 16th century. As it mentioned in Book of Spells, the reason of creating Wingardium Leviosa was allowing wizards to fly, to teach something wizards couldn’t do until this day.
Hobard gathered people around him to make demonstration with his new spell. Even Hobard were able to hold in air for three minutes and he did some performances, he wasn’t able to move around and because of this people around him booed Hobard. When Hobard saw his clothes started to rip off, he finds out the spell was only effecting on his clothes, not his body. In short time, his clothes ripped off with the weight of his body and this caused a disgrace. In history books, this story mentioned as “Outroutrageous silliness” and this was the first time Wingardium Leviosa used in wizarding world.
In Harry Potter’s class, first one who successfully casted the spell was Hermione Granger.
Wingardium Leviosa won’t work on humans or living creatures. Wizard’s skills and objects weight determine the altitude of the levitated object.
Known Users of the Spell
- Jarleth Hobart
- Draco Malfoy
- Harry Potter
- Hermione Granger
- Lee Jordan
- Ron Weasley
- Xenophilius Lovegood
- Profesör McGonagall
- Severus Snape
Where it Mentioned?
- Harry Potter and Sorcerer’s Stone (First Time – Movie, Book and Video Game) First year students of Hogwarts works on this spell in one of the first spell classes. Hermione Granger was the first student did this spell successfully.
- Harry Potter and Chamber of Secrets (Movie, Book and Video Game)
- Harry Potter and Prisoner of Azkaban (Movie, Book and Video Game)
- Harry Potter and Order of Phoenix (Movie, Book and Video Game)
- Harry Potter and Half-Blood Prince (Movie and Video Game)
- Harry Potter and Deathly Hallows 1-2-3 (Movie, Book and Video Game)
- Harry Potter for Kinect (Video Game)
- Harry Potter: Spells (Mobile Game)