Animagus is a special ability that allows wizards change into any desired animal. Unlike Metamorphmagus, Animagi can be learned. Animagis can take the shape of an animal, anytime they want without using potions.
Animagus is a topic of Transfiguration lessons that taught in third year of the Hogwarts Wizarding School.
Wizards must work very hard and long to gain Animagus ability, and needs very strong patience. Along with that, Animagus is very dangerous in some situations, if wizard cast it unsuccessfully, and could hurt the caster.
To become an Animagus, wizards must use the Mandrake plant. Wizards have to put the plant in their mouths and keep it for a month, brew potions from its leafs and finally consume this potion during a thunderstorm.
Gaining the ability of the transformation is a long and hard process, also contains many dangers. If it has done unsuccessfully, wizards can have stuck into a form between half animal and half human. Because of that, Animagi lessons starts from the third year of the school.
Ministry of Magic and Animagi
Animagus have to register to Ministry of Magic. When a wizard transforms into an animal form, it still has visible marks of his wizard body, and with the help of registry, Ministry of Magic can identify Animagis even they are in their animal forms.
Most of the Animagis registers themselves into the Ministry of Magic, but there are many unregistered wizards too. For example, Sirius Black didn’t register into the Ministry of Magic, so were able to escape from Azkaban in his animal form. Just like Sirius Black, Peter Pettigrew, Rita Skeeter are unregistered wizards too.
The punishment of not registering into the Ministry of Magic is imprisonment in the Azkaban.
- Minerva McGonagall
- James Potter (Not registered to the Ministry of Magic)
- Sirius Black (Not registered to the Ministry of Magic)
- Peter Pettigrew (Not registered to the Ministry of Magic)
- Rita Skeeter (Not registered to the Ministry of Magic)
- Transfiguration Today magazine published a guide about how to notice unregistered Animagis in its 2579th edition.
- J.K Rowling said she would probably become a “Guinee Pig” if she were able to do it.
- Wizards’ animal forms are directly connected with their personalities.
- Minerva McGonagall learned Animagi from Albus Dumbledore. Dumbledore is the only professor who can teach Animagi without being an Animagi.