Sorting Hat is the first magical object which every single student meets when they get in Hogwarts. Its purpose is sorting students to houses of Hogwarts.
When Hogwarts first founded, every founder was choosing their students by themselves. But right after Godric Gryffindor mentioned what would happen after death of founders, other founders and Gryffindor decided to create something which could sort students to houses. Godric Gryffindor puts brain into a hat and creates Sorting Hat which can sort students by their personalities into houses of Hogwarts. The Sorting Hat is responsible for sorting every first year student of Hogwarts to houses.
The Sorting Hat sings a new song each year at new year ceremony of Hogwarts. After the song, a teacher reads students’ names and puts Sorting Hat to ones turn to come, and the hat makes the decision of house.
Even it’s impossible to affect the Sorting Hat via magic or thoughts, Harry Potter succeed it. In his first year, Potter affected the Sorting Hat that resulted he sorted into Gryffindor house instead of Slytherin.
This object which created in Founder’s Era, although it belongs to only Godric Gryffindor, the team of Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw and Salazar Slytherin was helping to create it too.
Song of The Sorting Hat
Every First Year Students of Hogwarts
Where it Mentioned?
- Harry Potter and Felsefe Taşı (First Time – Book and Movie)
- Harry Potter and Chamber of Secrets (Book and Movie)
- Harry Potter and Prisoner of Azkaban (Book and Movie)
- Harry Potter and Goblet of Fire (Book and Movie)
- Harry Potter and Order of Phoenix (Book and Movie)
- Harry Potter and Half-Blood Prince (Book and Movie)
- Harry Potter and Deathly Hallows 1-2-3 (Book and Movie)
- Harry Potter and Cursed Child (Book)