One of the creatures which breeding by dark wizards, Basilisks, also known as “King of Serpents”. It was breed by Herpo the Foul for the first time. Dark wizards continue to breed those evil creatures since Middle Ages.
Breeding a Basilisk considered as a Dark Art and it requires too much experience and skills. If one looks directly into Basilisk’s eyes, it kills the person right away, if one looks indirectly, it petrifies the person.
Even they are more powerful than a regular snake, it is still counts and acts like a breed of snake which it’s possible to control by a Parselmouth. Since first days of Basilisks, only one person was able to control another person’s Basilisk who is Tom Riddle. Riddle was able to control Salazar Slytherin’s Basilisk. Even Harry Potter’s powers wasn’t enough to control that creature.
Where it Mentioned?
- Harry Potter and Chamber of Secrets (First Time – Movie and Book) Harry Potter fights against the Basilisk which Tom Riddle controls. Harry manages to kill the creature.
- Harry Potter and Prisoner of Azkaban (Movie and Book)
- Harry Potter and Goblet of Fire (Movie and Book)
- Harry Potter and Order of Phoenix (Movie and Book)
- Harry Potter and Half-Blood Prince (Movie and Book)
- Harry Potter and Deathly Hallows 1-2 (Movie and Book)
- Harry Potter and Chamber of Secrets (Book – Chapter 15)