Professor McGonagall born from a Muggle father and wizard mother, she is a half-blood. The is one of the most colorful characters of wizarding world, also she is very special. She is a very successful wizard also well respected among students that puts her in a very special place in Hogwarts.
McGonagall start her education at Hogwarts in between years 1947 – 1954. She is one of the rare characters who confused the mind of Sorting Hat in sorting stage. When McGonagall joined Hogwarts it took five and a half minutes to sort her.
After she had graduated from Hogwarts she started to work at Ministry of Magic and worked there for two years. She left the Ministry to be a professor at Hogwarts. She appointed for head of Gryffindor House and gave lessons at Transfiguration class.
Professor McGonagall is a member of Order of Phoenix. She was very active in every war of Hogwarts. She was the first one who opposed to Dolores Umbridge and she was the head of resistance at Hogwarts War. She survived all of the wars and became a legend in wizarding history.
Childhood and Family
Minerva McGonagall was born in 1935 from a Muggle father, Robert McGonagall and wizard mother, Isobel Ross. She is the first child of the couple and she named after her maternal grandmother who is an important wizard.
Minerva McGonagall’s mother is also a different character. She abandoned her magical abilities for the sake of love. She didn’t cast any spells after she had married and hid her magical abilities from her husband. After Minerva’s birth, she started to show some magical abilities that forced Minerva to confess. Right after Minerva’s other siblings showed similar abilities, Minerva’s parents argued about secrets but nonetheless they stand together as a couple.
When she was 11 years old in 1946, Hogwarts’ headmaster Professor Armando Dippet send a special invitation to Minerva McGonagall and invited her to Hogwarts because of her extraordinary magical abilities.
When she was 11 years old, she started her education at Hogwarts and sorted into Gryffindor House after five and half minutes think of Sorting Hat.
McGonagall stand out of the crowd with her extraordinary Transfiguration talents in no time. She graduated with highest marks in every lesson. She also awarded with “Transfiguration Today Most Promising Newcomer” award. She started to work in Ministry of Magic after her graduation.
She worked for the Ministry of Magic for 2 years and resigned. She was thinking Ministry of Magic was restricting her abilities and research. After her resigned she went to Hogwarts and started to work as professor of transfiguration class.
Minerva McGonagall is known with her strict discipline and idealist character. She ensured her students great achievements with that traits and started to work as headmistress of Gryffindor house. She is one of the most trusted friends of Albus Dumbledore. She is also deputy manager of Hogwarts Wizarding School.
After Dumbledore’s death, she promoted to headmistress of Hogwarts and she was in the lead role at defending Hogwarts castle.
First Wizarding War
After Voldemort’s rise, Minerva McGonagall fought against Death Eaters with Order of Phoenix. She was gathering intelligence about him before the war.
Even Minerva McGonagall didn’t wound in war but she lost her favourite students Lily Evans and James Potter with many students.
Before Voldemort’s murder of Potter’s family, Minerva McGonagall was active in the team that founded to bring Potter to his new family. Minerva was especially known for looking after Harry Potter.
Philosopher’s Stone and McGonagall
When they bring Sorcerer’s Stone to Hogwarts, Minerva McGonagall was one of the most important names for protecting the stone. She designed the Wizarding Chess in Chamber of Secrets. Even it is forbidden in school because of its very violent it was placed in corridor to protect Chamber of Secrets by Minerva McGonagall.
Relationship with Hermione Granger
Minerva McGonagall has very strict rules and strong principles but she has a weakness, especially for Harry Potter and his friends. She is the one who gave time-turner device to Hermione Granger so she could attend more classes with going back in time. With that, she also helped Sirius Black to escape from Azkaban.
Minerva McGonagall was especially in role of protector for Harry Potter. She opposed everyone to protect Harry Potter in Triwizard Tournament.
Second Wizarding War
With the start of second Wizarding War in summer of 1995, she re-joined to Order of Phoenix. She did very important missions for the Order. Meanwhile, she wore Muggle clothes instead of her regular clothes for camouflage. At the same time, she showed her opposition to Dolores Umbridge very clearly.
Minerva McGonagall opposed against punishment methods which Umbridge used on students even by risking her career. However, with her peaceful nature, saved her from Umbridge’s punishment.
Minerva McGonagall wounded at the war of Department of Mysteries and walked with crutches for a while.
Battle of Hogwarts
Minerva McGonagall lead the Battle of Hogwarts as headmistress of Hogwarts. After Potter and his friends had arrived the Hogwarts, McGonagall duelled with Severus Snape to protect her students. She caused him to flee.
When Voldemort learn Potter returned to school, he decided to attack Hogwarts. Minerva McGonagall organized the students and teachers and defended the Hogwarts.
It doesn’t matter how tough is war, Minerva McGonagall continued to fight against Death Eaters. Before the war, she said anyone who doesn’t want to fight can leave immediately and showed her support to Potter very firmly.
Minerva McGonagall still continues her job as headmistress of Hogwarts after the war.
- Transfiguration: Minerva McGonagall took his transfiguration lessons from Albus Dumbledore. She is naturally talented. She was started to use those abilities at very young age. In Battle of Hogwarts, she transformed sculptures and tables into warriors to defend the castle.
- Animagus: Minerva McGonagall can shapeshift into a cat whenever she wants. She showed this ability to her students in her first lesson.
- Spellcasting without Wand and Magical Words: She can cast spells without saying magical words or using wand.
- Quidditch: When she was a student in Hogwarts, she was a Quidditch player and she showed her talents many times.
- Minerva is the name of wisdom and courage Goddess in ancient Greek Mythology.
- McGonagall might be named after William Topaz McGonagall who is one of the most unsuccessful writers of England. J.K Rowling said it wasn’t a reference to him, she just like the name and named McGonagall.
- The actress of McGonagall Dame Maggie Smith diagnosed with breast cancer in 2008, during the shoots of Half-Blood Prince. Despite of chemotherapy and painful skin rashes caused by cancer, she had continued her role in Deathly Hallows 2.
- As J.K Rowling mentioned in an interview, she created McGonagall character with the same physical look with Maggie Smith and she said she is the most suitable person for the role.
- In the draft of first book of Harry Potter series, she called Madam McGonagle instead of McGonagall.
- In Harry Potter series, McGonagall is the one of two characters who uses her maiden name. The other one is Hermione Granger.
- J.K Rowling stated, she partly inspired by her English teacher Lucy Shepherd who causes her reading habitt.