A Ravenclaw house member, Professor Gilderoy Lockhart was the teacher of Defence Against Dark Arts at Hogwarts between 1992 – 1993. Lockhart was very famous in wizarding world. He is very well known especially with his books that he tells the heroic stories of him against dark and dangerous magical creatures.
Even Lockhart gets his all fame from his books and memories, in reality he didn’t experienced any of them. He used Obliviate spell to remove memories of people who actually fought against dangerous magical creatures and took the pride and fame of battles to himself. When he tried to do the same thing to Harry Potter in Chamber of Secret, his memory spell backfired and erased his own memories.
Gilderoy Lockhart has an impressive author career, and a big fan base particularly from middle aged housewives and high school girls. Susan Bones and Hermione Granger are big fans of Gilderoy Lochart too.
Gilderoy Lockhart was born in 1964 from a Muggle father and wizard mother. He has two siblings but neither of them have magical abilities.
Lockhart educated in Hogwarts. He was started his education in 1975, in same year with Sirius Black, James Potter, Lily Evans and many important wizards. Lockhart’s Hogwarts years were spectacular as his lessons. He graduated with high marks.
Lockhart has very impressive author career. After he graduated from Hogwarts, he travelled to exotic places of the world and wrote his memories and experiences in those places. Lockhart also mastered the memory magic, Obliviate, at the same time.
Every time he came back to Britain, he published a new book. With those publications, he got fame and money fast as the twinkling of an eye. Even Lockhart’s best seller book didn’t mention in the series, his second best seller is known as “Gadding with Ghouls“.
Lockhart teach at Hogwarts in 1992 – 1993 years of education. He taught Defence Against Dark Arts to students. The real reason of his acceptance by Albus Dumbledore that he was the only person applied to this position because of speculations about Voldemort’s return. Despite of his fame from writing career, students hold him in low regard, and other professors knew him as an unsuccessful professor.
Gilderoy Lockhart’s career ended while he was searching the Chamber of Secrets with Harry Potter. In there, Lockhart tried to get credit of Harry Potter’s battle and victory against a Basilisk, with using a memory spell to remove Potter’s memory. But his spell backfired accidently and he removed his own memory. At this moment, Lockhart ended his career with his own hands.
After this accident, Lockhart didn’t heal and lose his memory permanently.
- Memory Spells: Lockhart is master of memory magic. In wizarding world, there are no wizard who can cast better memory charms than Gilderoy Lockhart.
- Potions: Lockhart is not only known with his publications, he also known with his own shampoo. Lockhart was created a shampoo called “Occamy Egg Yolk Shampoo“, but it never released to market because it was too dangerous. Gilderoy Lockhart is also good at the potion making.
- Break with a Banshee
- Gadding with Ghouls
- Gilderoy Lockhart’s Guide to Household Pets
- Holidays with Hags
- Magical Me (Autobiography)
- Marauding with Monsters
- Who am I?
- One Hundred and One Practical Uses for Bertie Bott’s Every Flavour Beans
- Travels with Trolls
- Voyages with Vampires
- Wanderings with Werewolves
- Year with the Yeti
- J.K Rowling said, Gilderoy Lockhart named after a church in Scotland.
- Gilderoy Lockhart’s character has similarities with Zapp Brinnigan in Futurama animated series.
- Gilderoy Lockhart’s disappearance for a few weeks at early stages of his career known as a reference to Agatha Christie.